March 31 was International Transgender Day of Visibility. To honor the day, Out@Broad curated a list of resources, including news articles as well as movie and music suggestions, for Broadies to read, watch, and listen to all year long!
March 31 was International Transgender Day of Visibility, a day of awareness devoted to both celebrating the accomplishments of transgender and gender non-conforming people, and also acknowledging the immense work that needs to be done for all of us to achieve full equality, safety, and justice. Especially in light of the discriminatory anti-trans bills being considered in state legislatures across the country, we draw attention to the continued threat to trans lives, and we call upon the Broad community to stand in solidarity with our transgender and gender non-conforming colleagues every day.
- TDOV | Celebrating Trans & GNC Visibility
- International Transgender Day of Visibility – Workplace Pride
- Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition
- Transgender Emergency Fund of MA
- Trans Health | Fenway Health
- This Black trans activist is fighting to shield her community from an epidemic of violence: CNN
- Rachel Levine Makes History As 1st Openly Trans Federal Official Confirmed By Senate: NPR
- Transgender Lives Onscreen: Seen, but Not Always Believable: New York Times
- Transgender rights in the spotlight as Arkansas and Tennessee become latest states to pass anti-trans legislation: CNN
- Dad’s emotional plea to allow trans girls to play sport goes viral: The Independent
- Arkansas governor signs transgender sports ban into law: Associated Press
- Arkansas governor signs bill allowing medical workers to refuse treatment to LGBTQ people: PBS
- Alabama Trans Youth Dismayed By State's Effort To Block Medical Care: NPR
- 2021 Becomes Record Year For Anti-Transgender Legislation: Human Rights Campaign
- "Pose" (FX): The series explores the world of ballroom in the 1980s and 1990s, boasting the largest cast of transgender actors as series regulars.
- "First Day" (Hulu): A transgender girl begins middle school
- "Veneno" (HBO Max): series follows a young journalism student named Valeria who finds she has a lot in common with '90s Spanish transgender icon Cristina Ortiz (La Veneno).
- "Tales of the City" (Netflix): Based on Armistead Maupin's book series, this new iteration of "Tales of the City" features transgender man "Jake" in each episode, and episode eight includes transgender actresses Jen Richards and Daniela Vega.
- "The L Word: Generation Q" (Showtime): This reboot features a transgender man, and seems to be an improvement over the original's trans man storyline.
- "Euphoria" (HBO): Hunter Schafer's Jules, who is transgender, is an integral character in HBO's teen drama.
- "The True Adventures of Wolfboy": The film is a coming-of-age story about fears and emotions transgender people grapple with when they face transition.
- "A Fantastic Woman": The Academy Award-winning movie stars Daniela Vega.
- "Lingua Franca" (Netflix): Written by, directed by, and starring Isabel Sandoval, a trans woman.
- “Disclosure” (Netflix): "Discolosure" is an unprecedented, eye-opening look at transgender depictions in film and television, revealing how Hollywood simultaneously reflects and manufactures our deepest anxieties about gender.
- "The Trans List" (HBO): Watch famous faces from the transgender community share their stories.
- "Real Boy" (Independent Lens; PBS): This is "an intimate story of a family in transition."
- "Kumu Hina" (PBS): "During a momentous year in her life in modern Honolulu, Hina Wong-Kalu, a transgender teacher uses traditional culture to inspire a student to claim her place as leader of the school's all-male hula troupe," according to the film's website.
- TRANS IN TRUMPLAND
- Black on Both Sides: A Racial History of Trans Identity, by C. Riley Snorton
- Before I had the Words: On Being a Transgender Young Adult, by Skylar Kergil
- Trans Like Me: Conversations for All of Us, by CN Lester
- I’m Afraid of Men, by Vivek Shraya
- Freshwater, by Akwaeke Emezi
- Felix Ever After, by Kacen Callender
- Transgender History: The Roots of Today’s Revolution, by Susan Stryker The Black Tides of Heaven, by Jy Yang
- A Safe Girl to Love, by Casey Plett
- Non-Binary Lives - an anthology of Intersecting Identities by Jos Twist
- In Their Shoes by Jamie Windusr
- Shea Diamond
- Skylar Kergil
- AH MER AH SU
- Laith Ashley
- Against Me!
- Ryan Cassata
- The Cliks
- KC Ortiz
- Kim Petras
- Sam Smith
- Serena Isioma