In 2019, members of the Broad community — including current and former trainees and mentees — conceived of and established the annual Eric S. Lander and Stuart L. Schreiber Prizes in Scientific Excellence in honor and gratitude for Eric and Stuart’s vision and leadership in founding the Broad Institute, their creation of a culture in which the next generation is empowered to pursue scientific excellence, and their mentorship, especially of early-career women in science. These prizes are given to outstanding mentored scientists (a postdoctoral fellow and graduate student, respectively) who are highly engaged at the Broad Institute and demonstrate first and foremost scientific excellence, reflective of the highest scientific standards of Eric and Stuart, as well as a commitment to promoting women in science, as shown through the awardee’s own example as an accomplished woman scientist or through mentorship and championing of women’s scientific careers.
The winners will be invited to present their research at this year’s Broad Retreat, where they will be recognized with a commemorative scientific excellence award and an accompanying $1,000 prize. Winners will also be invited to participate in a Broad-sponsored leadership development program. Winners will be selected through a self- and/or investigator-nominated process.
- Applicants must be currently affiliated with the Broad Institute as a graduate student, postdoc, or equivalent mentored role (e.g., mentored M.D./Ph.D.) at the time of the application and award.
- Applicants’ research must be related to research activities at the Broad Institute.
Applicants are expected to demonstrate excellence in the following areas:
- Scientific research
- Potential for scientific success in their field
- Potential for leadership and service to their scientific field
- The promotion of people who identify as women and excellence in science, either through their own scientific contributions or through mentoring and championing women in science
Applications are currently closed. The next application cycle will open in mid-2023.
Questions regarding the Eric S. Lander and Stuart L. Schreiber Prizes in Scientific Excellence may be emailed to email@example.com.