In 2019, members of the Broad community—including current and former trainees and mentees—conceived of and established the annual Eric S. Lander and Stuart L. Schreiber Awards in Scientific Excellence in honor and gratitude for their vision and leadership in founding the Broad Institute, their creation of a culture in which the next generation is empowered to pursue scientific excellence, and their mentorship, especially of early-career women in science. These awards are given to an outstanding mentored scientist, postdoctoral fellow or graduate student, at the Broad Institute, who demonstrate first and foremost scientific excellence, reflective of the highest scientific standards of Eric and Stuart, as well as a commitment to promoting women in science as shown through the awardee’s own example as an accomplished woman scientist or through mentorship and championing of women’s scientific careers.
The winners will be invited to present their research at the 2021 Broad Retreat, where they will be recognized with a commemorative scientific excellence award and an accompanying $1,000 prize. Winners will also be invited to participate in a Broad-sponsored leadership development program. Winners will be selected through a self- and/or investigator-nominated process.
Applicants must be currently affiliated with the Broad Institute as a graduate student, postdoc, or equivalent mentored role (e.g., mentored MD/PhD) at the time of the application and award.
Applicants’ research must be related to research activities at the Broad Institute.
Applicants are expected to demonstrate excellence in the following areas:
Potential for scientific success in their field
Potential for leadership and service to their scientific field
The promotion of people who identify as women and excellence in science, either through their own scientific contributions or through mentoring and championing women in science
Application Process and Requirements
- Application Form
- Basic Personal Information: Name, Home Institution, Affiliated Department & Lab, Degree Type and Year.
- Describe your scientific accomplishments and their impact on your field? (1-2 pages including at least one summary figure; references can be provided on a third page)
- Short Answer Prompts (answer both)
- What are some key unanswered questions in your field, and how do you think they might be solved? (500 words max)
- Write a personal statement discussing your personal journey, interests and challenges, and/or commitment to social justice/ support of women in science. (500 words max)
- Curriculum Vitae or Biosketch
Letters of Recommendation are not required during application but will be requested for candidates progressing to a second stage of evaluation. Please provide names, affiliations, and email addresses of individuals from whom such letters may be solicited.
- Postdoctoral fellows: names of three individuals from whom letters of recommendation may be requested, including their graduate and postdoctoral advisor/mentor/PI and another investigator who knows the candidate well.
- Graduate students: names of two individuals from whom letters of recommendation may be requested, at least one being from their direct graduate advisor.
Please submit your application via the link, Eric Lander and Stuart Schreiber Excellence Awards Application by October 1st, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
If you are not eligible to apply but would like to nominate an eligible individual, please send their general information to SLS-ESLawards@broadinstitute.org and the review committee will encourage them to apply.
The applications for the 2021 Eric S. Lander and Stuart L. Schreiber Awards in Scientific Excellence will be open Monday, August 16th, 2021 through Friday, October 1st, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
A review committee of members from the Broad Community will make the award selection based on the established criteria.
- Awardees will be notified in mid-October and will be recognized at the 2021 Broad Retreat.
Questions regarding the Eric S. Lander and Stuart L. Schreiber Awards in Scientific Excellence may be emailed to SLS-ESLawards@broadinstitute.org.